This med student wife is determined to live on the prescribed budget allotted to our family for the semester.
One way I'm doing it is baking my own bread in our nifty bread machine.
I simply place the 1 5/8 cup of warm water in the bottom (that's free - or very close to free)
Then add 2 cups white flour ($.15 when considering I buy a 5 lb. bag of flour at Aldi for $1.59)
Add an additional 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour that I've ground with a wheat grinder. (This could be considered cheating since the average person doesn't have a wheat grinder and wheat berries to grind)
Then 1/3 cup brown sugar (that figured out to $.63 based on a $1.49 32-oz. bag of brown sugar from Aldi).
A yeast packet costs ~$.33 and then a teaspoon of salt comes out to be so minimal I hardly count it ($.00269/tsp.)
TOTAL = ~$1.12
That makes this med student momma happy.

Not only does this save you money-- it's also probably better for you. My other money saver with bread is to buy the yeast in the bulk jar. It keeps fine in the fridge and I get the equivalent of 16 pouches for less than $5. The savings are small, but it's convenient and every little bit counts, right? :-)
ReplyDelete