Friday, August 2, 2013

Denali: 'The Great One'


Wednesday we took the Alaskan Rail Road from Anchorage to the Denali National Park. 
It was another scenic trip. 
A time to relax. 


I took too many pictures of Denali (Mt. McKinley). 
We hiked in the Denali National Park, and will be leaving tonight for Fairbanks. 
Our plane will fly out Saturday evening. 

Our first sight of Denali. It hid behind clouds, its head peaking out (upper left hand corner).

Clearer views of Denali

Just looking at the mountain makes me want to climb it.

While at the lodge I came across a LIFE magazine article from 1945 written on mountaineering. 
I love the old-style writing from the 40s and 50s, and had to write down this quote, which so perfectly describes one of the reasons I love being around mountain peaks.

"That men have climbed the Matterhorn and McKinley, Aconcagua and Nanda Devi - and that they will eventually climb Everest itself - means little. That they should climb them and try to climb them means everything. For it is the ultimate wisdom of the mountains that a man is never more a man than when he is striving for what is beyond his grasp and that there is no conquest worth the winning save that over his own weakness and ignorance and fear." 

Being surrounded by majestic peaks brings more than just strong feelings of wanting to conquer the lofty heights. As I look at them I also am able to grasp the power of the Lord we serve. If I can feel so awe-inspired simply looking at something He created, I can somehow begin to grasp how splendid is His holy presence. 

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment